Renewing Our Faith

Renewing our faith is not about converting others it is about learning the theology and dogma that underpin our Catholic beliefs.  

Wednesday, October 9

Spiritual Exercises Day 2

Little tip:
While reading the words of the meditation imagine yourself on a long narrow road that stretches ahead and God is at the very end of it.

I Come From God; I belong to God; I will return to God.

Meditation: I belong to God:

I come from God; hence, I belong to God.  God is my creator; hence, He is my Lord and my master.  To deny this consequence would be to deny my reason.
The Lord enters into judgment with me, and deigns to argue His rights over His creature.  Is it not true that the master has a right to the services of his servants?  Is it not true that the king has a right to the obedience of his subjects?  The father to the submission as well as the respect of his children?  Is it not true that the workman has a right to dispose of his work as he chooses?  And I, the creature of God, do I not belong more to God than the slave to his master, than the subject to his sovereign, the child to his father, the picture to him who painted it, or the tree to him who planted it?   What is there in me that does not belong to God. 
“What have you that you have not received?” (1Cor.iv.7). What would remain to me if God took back all that He has given me? 
O my God! all I have comes from Thee;  it is just that all in me should belong to Thee.  “O Lord, just are thou, and glorious in Thy power, and no one can overcome Thee.  Let all creatures serve Thee; for Thou hast spoken and they were made; Thou didst send forth Thy Spirit, and they were created.”  (Jud. xvi.16.17)

Consider, O my soul:
Essential Dominion
It was not necessary that God should draw me from nothing.  But since God has created me, it is necessary that I should be His.  He would cease to be God if, being my creator, He ceased to be my sovereign and my master.

Supreme Dominion   
I belong to God before everything, and above everything. Properly speaking, I belong to God alone, and men have no other rights over me except such as God has given them.  Their rights, then, are subordinate to the rights of God; and their authority must be always subjected to the authority of God.

Absolute dominion.
God can dispose of me according to His pleasure; He can give or take from me, fortune, honour, life; my duty is to receive everything from His hand with submission and without complaint.

Universal Dominion.
Everything in me is from God; therefore all in belongs to God.  The dominion of the Lord extends to all the stages of my life, to all the situations in which I may be placed, to all the faculties of my soul, all the senses of my body, to every hour and moment of my existence.

Eternal Dominion.
The dominion of God is immortal, like myself.  It begins with time, and continues through eternity; death, which deprives men of all their rights, is unable to do anything against the rights of God.

Irresistible dominion.
We may escape the dominion of men; but how escape the dominion of God?  Willingly or unwilling, we must submit to it; we must either live under the empire of His love, or under that of His justice; either glorify His power by free obedience, or glorify it by inevitable punishment.
“O man, who art thou that repliest against God.? Shall the thing formed say to him who formed it, why hast thou made me thus?”  (rom.ix.20)

Biblical Prayer:
Adoration:
“Thou art worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honour and power, for Thou hast created all things”  (Rev.iv.11)
Regret:
“Is this the return thou makest to the Lord, O foolish and senseless people? Is not He they father, that has possessed thee, and made thee, and created thee? Thou hast forsaken the God that made thee, and hast forgotten the Lord that created thee” (Deut. xxxii 6, 18)
Submission:
“O Lord, I am Thy servant, I am Thy servant and the son of Thy handmaid”  (Psalm cxv.16)

No comments:

Post a Comment